2 women trying to make a baby

Sunday, September 28, 2008

2 women and 1 large wish for a child

Hello, I'm not 100% sure where to begin.... I guess mine is just an old fashioned love story. Girl meets girl on the internet and they exchange rings within 2 months. 6 months later they set up housekeeping. They get a multitude of dogs, move to another state, and buy a house. Move 5 years into the future. Now that the classic lesbian American dream has been reached, the next step is clearly to have a real live human family. (I am being a bit cavalier but this truly is something we both deeply long for.)

Sooo last year we began seeing a reproductive endocrinologist. We expected that he would say "everything's great. Let's schedule an IUI immediately! .... Why, you'll be pregnant within a month!" But instead he said, "You have old eggs and fertility issues." He then said the dreaded words....in vitro fertilization. HJ (partner) and I were in shock! We couldn't fathom that things weren't 'normal' in my ovaries and such and we were terrified at the cost of IVF. But we persevered. We did IVF #1 and I got pregnant. "Yippee!! This is more like it!" We told everyone we knew, including my parents (but THAT is another story) then I miscarried at 9 1/2 weeks. booo!

So we took some time to grieve and recover. We got a second and a third opinion then we went to a new RE. Love, love, love RE #2 and we were pumped for IVF #2. However IVF #2 did not create any discernible outcome aside from our diminished bank account and my new ability to cry at the drop of a hat. I'm serious: I don't discriminate. I'll cry over anything: commercials, songs or even Adam Sandler movies!! So now HJ and I are in the portion of our journey when we see pregnant women EVERYWHERE and we try to decide how to get there for ourselves.

Clearly some days are better than others.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Found your link thru dagny, in my own struggle, decided to start at your beginning and while crying already - I laughed when I read that you cried at even adam sandler movies! Bad day for me and I cried repeatedly while watching i now pronounce you chuck and larry this morning!