2 women trying to make a baby

Monday, October 19, 2009

Off the grid and fun with math

I have been almost completely Internet-free in my spare time recently. It was strangely freeing and anxiety-provoking at the same time. But now I am back (and almost entirely caught up) both from my Internet sabbatical and from an actual vacation.



Joey had a conference in Salt Lake so we decided to stick a vacation at the end. I was pleasantly surprised. The weather was fabulous and we spent time with great friends. I almost didn't think about TTC for a few days, which is tough when I am taking injections every morning. Then out of the blue, our IVF nurse calls and asks if she can move up our cycle by 1 week. The new schedule means that our eggs will be thawed on November 9 and our transfer will be November 12. Now let me just express to you the joy that comes from having this very private conversation, along with lady business questions, while sharing a rented van with 7 friends. So much for my dignity and being low key. You know what also sucked? The driver did not realize when I got on the phone so she cranked the radio really loud and I had to ask her to turn it down. Now instead of people having side conversations, the van goes utterly quiet as I ask questions about when I will have my period and when will my ultrasounds be scheduled. Ah well, half the nation has seen my lady business so why not have the other half hear about my period and such?




In the time that I WAS thinking about TTC, I considered some numbers:


Using conservative numbers, IVF works about 40% of the time. So 40 out of 100 people will get pregnant on the first try.
Then 40% of the non-pregnant 60 get pregnant on the second try which is 24.
Now 64 of the original 100 have gotten pregnant, leaving 36 women to have a third IVF and 40% will get pregnant (14).
This means that after 3 cycles of IVF about 78 of 100 women will have a baby.
Assume that the 22 women not pregnant will all move on to donor eggs. Of those 22, 60% will get pregnant (13). Now the number of women having babies has increased to 91 out of 100.


If my math is correct (and remember that I am a therapist, not a real scientist, meaning that my math skills are roughly on par with the average 6th grader) I am part of less that 10% of women trying to get pregnant using ART who are not successful after 3 IVFs and a donor egg cycle.

No one can ever accuse me of being a quitter.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hon you sure aint a quitter AND I for one am not going to quit on you. Its lovely when your ovaries and menstrual cycle becomes public fodder for conversation... gotta love that. you made me smile though cause i could just picture the tone "yep... uh yep... uh yep... can we talk about my cycle some more?" :)

Finn's Mom said...

I love math therapy! You actually made me feel better about my prospects!

Sorry that you had to have that conversation in the van! Ugh, I would have hated that. Even with friends who knew what was going on, I don't feel like letting them hear the nitty-gritty. I know I would have had the conversation and then worried all night that in my desire to sound cool, I would have said something wrong to the nurse.

You know, Thanksgiving is 11/26 this year, exactly 2 weeks after your transfer. I hope you and Joey have something huge for which to be thankful!

Pufferfish said...

Ha! I've had to have some of those 'private' conversations with other people present--it's nerve wracking even for the most open person. It's all out there now and you have 7 more people in the universe, plus the entire blogosphere, cheering you on for this next cycle!

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

ugh, sorry about the not-so-private discussion of your privates! I know I would have been totally freaked in that situation and would have tried to speak in euphemism, and as a result would have screwed everything up. Good for you to stay calm under a bizarre type of pressure.
November sounds like a great month to get pregnant to me! xoxo

Mina said...

I totally understand how awkward that conversation must have been, I've been through a couple of those myself.

I am so so so so excited for you! I am praying for you! And I'm glad you're not a quitter =)

Meredith said...

I love love love your math (even it if is liberal studies math :c)

I'm so thrilled things are speeding up for you- we're going to need someone to mail our extra newborn clothes to (when we finally get our positive!).

:::hugs:::

Anonymous said...

Yes but of all those 100 people starting IVF and of those women who have done 3 IVFs and a donor cycle, only one of them is you and you are the one who will get pregnant next try. You are the one that matters. That's my mathematical logic!

anofferingoflove said...

no, you definitely arent a quitter! by your calculations, it sounds to me like this is your cycle!

nov 9 (& 12) will be here sooo soon - im excited for ya'll!!

tireegal68 said...

Bingo - your number is up, girlfriend!
That sounds like a fun ( not) conversation to have with all those curious ears listening.
Loved the pic of antelope island and salt lake on FB - I was there when I was nine years old and remember it well. Did you swim in the salt lake?
SO excited for you:)

LOVE the MATH!

Best When Used By said...

You poor thing, having to discuss your private bodily functions in a van with 7 silent people. You win extra points for having to endure that! According to the math calculations, I agree with the others - you're number is up! Yay for bumping up the time frame...I'm excited for you!

Lizzie said...

Exciting to bump up by a week! xoxoxoxo

tbean said...

Glad you are back on the grid. I think Nov. 9 will be here in a flash. I can't wait. I'm so rooting for you.