2 women trying to make a baby

Sunday, September 27, 2009

Pruning

The weeds have grown back in my flower beds again, as they are so wont to do. So today rather than taking the nap I wanted to take, I decided to clear out some weeds both physically and metaphorically. I grabbed great angry handfuls of tall weeds and jerked them out from the roots. I am not fooled though. I know that the weeds are still lying in wait underneath the mulch and they will grow back again. Vigilance and determination is the key. And aren’t those really the keys to everything?

I also pruned the enormous and unruly bridal wreath bush. It blooms when and if it chooses. And it adamantly resists all my efforts to contain it. It is at the corner of the flowerbed and at times I find an errant new sprig has grown outside the boundaries of the bed. It refuses to stop. I cut it back to near stubs at times and yet it always finds a way to grow larger, greener and healthier. I respect that bush.

So today, I will enjoy the sunshine. I will breathe and I will find new territory to grow into. No one ever promised that growth would come without a price.

8 comments:

Best When Used By said...

What a beautiful post. The metaphor is right on target. I know how on-target it is for you right now, and it was perfect timing for me today too. Vigilence and determination ARE key...both in removing the weeds that pester us and in fighting our own way to live and grow, despite adversity. Sigh. I just wish it weren't so damn depressing sometimes.

tbean said...

Thinking of you everyday and sending love and strength across the miles.

tireegal68 said...

I admire that plant that keeps on growing. Kind of like the little engine that could. May we all have the strength and the persistence! Thinking of you in your garden and sending you big earthy handfuls of love and hope to you. :)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post Cindy, so delicate and at the same time, raw and real.

Love to you. Let me know if you ever need to borrow my weedwacker.

Anonymous said...

what a perfectly appropriate activity for your sunday afternoon. sending love your way. ♥♥

Anonymous said...

Really lovely post. Hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

It's a lovely post. Love to you.

mama bea, bao in the oven said...

Weeding is such a great way to get angst out. Even when there is not a really good metaphor involved. :)
xoxo